Can Python be bundled with Solaris?

Stephen Ferg steve at ferg.org
Mon Mar 3 11:24:41 EST 2003

I am a computer programmer and Federal employee in Washington, DC.

My agency requires all software used on its computers to have offical
approval. This policy is fairly strictly enforced (especially since
9/11), although in practice it often doesn't make much sense.  For
example:  We are using Solaris.  Since Perl "comes with" Solaris, Perl
doesn't require special approval.  But Python does.

It would facilitate the use of Python in Federal agencies if Sun would
bundle Python with Solaris, in the same way that it now bundles Perl.

Is there anyway that Sun might be persuaded to do that?