Remote MAC Address In Python

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Mar 25 14:32:16 EST 2003

In article <d132c87f.0303251046.2c75d237 at posting.google.com>, George Papamarkos wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a way in Python to grab the MAC
> Address of a computer in a network knowing only its IP Address from a
> Linux machine? Solutions using "arp" command etc. do not work
> properly.

If solutions using the ARP protocol don't work, then Python's
certainly got no chance of finding out.

If ping/arp doesn't work, then it's probable that the
information is simply not available (e.g. the destination
machine is behind a router).

> I'd like something more generic pls.

How can there be anything more generic than sending an ARP
request?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm GLAD I
                                  at               remembered to XEROX all