Nice quote

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Fri Mar 28 20:18:37 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:30:28 +0100, Just wrote:
>   """The Python people also piped to say "everything's just
>      fine here" but then they always do, I really must learn that
>      language."""

Would somebody amplify on this please? What XML library do we have that's
easier to use then DOM or SAX for real world tasks that doesn't require
reading the whole file into memory to work?

"The Python people" may be referring to some pull-based DOM solution but
IMHO that still has the problem that the DOM, as a middle-of-the-road,
common ground solution isn't easy to use, it's just equally mediocre for
all uses.

Personally, I've been noodling around with the idea of some sort of
declarative syntax where you tell the parser what you're expecting and it
presents you with an object model constructed using classes you give it.
Kind of an "XSL" transformation that goes straight to custom classes.
In other words, stronger support for what amounts to deserialization,
which is what I find myself needing most when I'm using XML. (YMMV of
course.) I haven't looked around enough to know if such a beast already
exists; I'm only familiar at the moment with the traditional solutions and
variations on the DOM and SAX theme (like the aforementioned pull DOM
solutions).

I think one of the problems has been a little too much focus on things
like DOM and SAX that are basically equally mediocre under all
circumstances...