OT: Programmers whos first language is not English

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Mar 8 12:26:17 EST 2003

Stephen Horne <intentionally at blank.co.uk> wrote previously:
|In particular, I'm thinking of using XML - not as an AST
|representation, but merely as a way of marking up source code. This
|would require special editors, of course, but if WYSIWYG editors can
|be created for HTML I don't see why programmers are still stuck in the
|plaintext age.

I would say that any programming language that requires a special
editor is a truly dreadful idea that will die a deservedly early death.
Either that, or it will be Lisp, and require emacs :-).

With HTML, as with every other format, most tools that try to create a
friendly face on the underlying source are awkward, buggy, do everything
except the thing -you- have to get done, and will not run on whichever
platform you need to work on.  I cannot work with HTML outside of a
plaintext editor at any length, nor would I want to.

Yours, Lulu...

P.S. That's not to say that allowing a few Unicode keywords is such a
terrible idea.  It does require an editor that can deal with them, but
that is -less- specialized than editing XML; and there's more reason for
general tools to allow that.

--
---[ to our friends at TLAs (spread the word) ]--------------------------
Echelon North Korea Nazi cracking spy smuggle Columbia fissionable Stego