why self instead obj ?

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Thu Mar 6 15:04:40 EST 2003

Quoth Jeremy Fincher:
> "Gerard Breiner" <gerard.breiner at ias.u-psud.fr> wrote in message news:<b47r6f$1oo$1 at upsn21.u-psud.fr>...
   [...]
> > Moreover, "obj" is easier to type on the keyboard and shorter than "self".
>
> I don't really think this is the case.  On a QWERTY keyboard, self is
> a quick four taps of the keyboard, each using a different finger,
> three belonging to the home row and one belonging to the
> slightly-slower top row.  obj, on the other hand, is three taps of the
> keyboard, the first two of which are the same finger, one of those two
> is even a ghastly bottom-row-stretch key.  [...]

I can't imagine a sensible method of touch-typing which would have
o and b on the same finger on a qwerty keyboard.

I assume you meant "last two" instead of "first two", and are
typing b with the right-hand index finger, whose home is j.  If
this is so, I'd suggest typing b with the left-hand index finger
(home at f); this is the usual method afaik.  (Note the symmetry:
r t g b v on the left, u y h n m on the right.)  It also happens
to make 'obj' a finger-per-letter word.

--
Steven Taschuk             "The world will end if you get this wrong."
staschuk at telusplanet.net    (Brian Kernighan and Lorrinda Cherry,