Beginner: How to copy a string?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Mar 27 19:52:17 EST 2003

dbrown2 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Ok, so what's the trick.  Please be kind.  It's really not obvious to
> me.  In fairness I did see in the FAQ you could convert it to a list
> and rejoin it which I assume would work, but I suspect there is a more
> direct way.

I think the real question here (in all seriousness) is:  Why you think
you need this?  It's really an implementation detail whether an
immutable object (a particular one, that is) can be copied to make a
unique object with the same value.  Since immutable objects cannot in
any way be changed, it makes no difference whether or not two references
have reference to the same immutable object, or have references to two
unique immutable objects with the same value.

/  \ Who, my friend, can scale Heaven?
\__/ _The Epic of Gilgamesh_
    Alcyone Systems / http://www.alcyone.com/
 Alcyone Systems, San Jose, California.