[Q] Databases -- Gadfly vs Metakit vs SQLite

Chris Tavares cct at tavaresstudios.com
Mon Mar 17 02:30:18 EST 2003

"David LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.net> wrote in message

> Aside from it's dubious parentage, Jet has a reputation for being
> excruciatingly slow. I believe, but am not positive, that Outlook uses Jet
> and there are times when Outlook is incredibly slow. With a lot of saved
> mail message, and after a normal shutdown, Outlook can take several
minutes
> to startup. It can take a noticable time to switch from viewing one email
> another in the same folder!

Outlook does not use Jet for its storage. It'd actually be an improvement if
it did, I think. :-)

> Sqlite is my db of choice for it's rubustness, performance, licensing
> (totally unencumbered!) and the fact that it comes from a developer with a
> sterling reputation across no less than 3 language groups.

I also like Sqlite; I haven't had a need for it YET, but I  really
appreciate the effort that the author has put into development AND
packaging. Sqlite is powerful, and incredibly easy to link into your app.
It's definately good stuff.

-Chris