Socket connection

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sat Mar 8 14:43:23 EST 2003

"Dennis Lee Bieber" <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:s9eoj-he3.ln1 at beastie.ix.netcom.com...
> sik0fewl fed this fish to the penguins on Friday 07 March 2003 06:59 am:
>
> > I had no idea that x = y just references y to x (when x & y are
> > lists). ie,
>
>         Doesn't matter what x was... x is, itself, just a label stuck on
some
> object. y=x merely puts /another/ label on the same object.
>
>         Forget anything from Computing 101 about x or y being addresses of
> memory cells, and assignment copying the contents at an address to
> another. Instead of addresses, Python's concept is that the memory
> cells have Post-It notes stuck on them, and assignment only moves the
> Post-It from one cell to another.

That may be so, but it needs to be better explained. After the statements

a = [2, 3, 4]
b = a

where exactly are the Post-Its for "a" and "b" stuck? Does the Post-It
represent the name or the contents of the memory cell? etc., etc.

regards
Register for PyCon now!            http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html