PEP 312 - Making lambdas implicit worries me, surely it's just the name 'lambda' that is bad...

Stephen Horne intentionally at blank.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 19:39:15 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:54:37 -0500, Jack Diederich
<jack at performancedrivers.com> wrote:

>A groups.google link to a post where (in the footnotes) I mention that 'lambda'
>is both A: a long keyword, and B: one of the few keywords that never starts
>a line (hence it jars the eye).

I don't really see the relevance of the fact that "'lambda' never
starts a line". Other frequently used words (such as built-in function
names) also never start a line - 'reduce' is as long as 'lambda' for a
start. What is the relevance of the distinction between keywords and
standard identifiers in this issue?