Python Admin Scripts

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 28 06:46:33 EST 2003

    Norm> Many of you must be Linux/NT admins.  What I am looking for are
    Norm> projects to try out on Python.

    Norm> How have you found Python to be useful in making the job easier?

Here's a simple one.  We recently began using Firewall-1 to protect servers
in the group I work in at Northwestern.  While it provides a nice GUI to
create rules and can dump voluminous log files in CSV format, it provides
essentially no logfile analysis tools.  I wrote a simple summarizer in
Python which identifies the most frequent source and target machines, the
most frequently targetted services, and the most frequently used rules in
the database.  Sort of a a (very) poor man's Internet Storm Center
(http://isc.incidents.org/).

Skip