Incomparable abominations

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Mar 19 19:04:29 EST 2003

"Greg Ewing" <me at privacy.net> wrote previously:
|In a recent discussion on python-dev, Guido has expressed
|favourable thoughts on introducing a before(x,y) operation
|for arbitrary ordering. So there is hope that we may get
|back the ability to sort arbitrary lists in some future
|version.

That would be great.  Hopefully this operation also rolled into a
.sort()-like method that avoids the function call overhead of using a
custom comparison function.

Or better still, the total ordering behavior can be the behavior of
[].sort() itself... while the current behavior can be retained under the
name:

  [].kinda_like_sort_but_crash_at_the_slightest_whiff_of_trouble()

Yours, Lulu...

--
mertz@  | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net!  All the
gnosis  | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy