Is Python the Esperanto of programming languages?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Mar 21 15:04:13 EST 2003

Isaac To wrote:

> To Chinese, the whole inflection thing, let alone agreement, is plain
> stupid.

I don't know if "stupid" is exactly the word you should use here, unless
you're trying to incite antagonism.  Perhaps you meant "unnecessary"?

[...]
> BTW, Yes, Chinese is indeed *much more* resistent in noisy environments (but
> for a very different primary reason: it's louder).

Ah... do you have any evidence of this, or are you just theorizing?

[...snip lots of good stuff on some of Esperanto's warts...]
> That's why I said that Esperanto is inelegant.

Well, it's hard to argue with some of what you say.  Nevertheless, I believe
the main point is simply that Esperanto is provably *much* easier to
learn than most natural languages, and easier to at least some extent
than probably all of them.  Few people will argue convincingly that
Esperanto is trivially easy to learn, and a discussion of "elegance"
reduces quickly to personal opinion anyway, and so is largely pointless.

-Peter