How can I use an existing COM object pointer with win32com?

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Tue Mar 18 13:55:31 EST 2003

In my C++ extension that wraps the Microsoft Active Accessibility API
I can get a pointer to a IWebBrowser2 COM interface from an
IAccessible representing the browser. I'd like to hand this pointer
back to my Python code and use it just like I would use the object I'd
get from

ie = DispatchWithEvents("InternetExplorer.Application", IEEvents)

Can I do that? I don't want to create a new instance of Internet
Explorer. I want to connect to a particular instance already running.

I have looked for an example of "adopting" a COM pointer but haven't
found one.

Thanks
Gary Bishop
Associate Professor