idle on linux

Davor Cengija dcengija_remove_ at inet.hr
Sun Mar 16 04:10:35 EST 2003

Luke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried to install idle in RedHat 8.0
> Installed python tools, tcl, tk
> But when I start idle at the prompt ('/usr/bin/idle') I get the following
> message:
> ImportError: No module named Tkinter

Mandrake (and most likely RedHat, as well) comes with tkinter packed as
rpm. You just need to install it.

davor at lothar ~ $ rpm -qi tkinter
Name        : tkinter                      Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.2                               Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 9mdk                          Build Date: Sun 24 Feb 2002
04:24:10 PM CET
Install date: Sun 21 Jul 2002 10:01:41 PM CEST      Build Host:
no.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : Development/Python            Source RPM:
python-2.2-9mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 1626606                          License: Modified CNRI Open
Source License
Packager    : Stew Benedict <sbenedict at mandrakesoft.com>
URL         : http://www.python.org/
Summary     : A graphical user interface for the Python scripting language
Description :
The Tkinter (Tk interface) program is an graphical user interface for
the Python scripting language.

You should install the tkinter package if you'd like to use a graphical
user interface for Python programming.

Davor Cengija, dcengija_remove_ at inet.hr