Is Python overhyped (just like Java)?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Mar 29 19:30:22 EST 2003

Roy Smith wrote:

> Gerhard Haring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
>
> > I couldn't care less about which programming language you use. So I
> > propose you do some internet research yourself.
>
> Seems to me, that's what he was doing :-)

Well, it's one thing to seek independent analysis of whether Python or
C++ would be a better choice for a particular task or mindset, but it's
quite another to step into a community and demand that they prove to you
that their language of choice is "overhyped."

After all, someone inclined to research such an issue should be well
aware that such a discussion has taken place many, many times in the
past and would look to Google searches or articles on the Web about the
issue, rather than boldly state, "Hey, I heard your language sucks,
prove me wrong!"

So yeah, I'd say that passive research would have been the better way to
approach his needs.

/  \ Human love is often but the encounter of two weaknesses.
\__/ Francois Mauriac
    PyUID / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/uid/
 A module for generating "unique" IDs in Python.