psyco in the standard distribution

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Mar 24 08:14:49 EST 2003

[RPM1]

> Of course, the standard Pythonic answer to this will be, "Well you should
> be writing an extension module in C."  But the only reason I was using
> Python in the first place was because I really like Python and didn't want
> to use C.

We are having much success with Pyrex as a way to recover about all of the C
speed, once analysed the bottlenecks, without actually writing any new C.
Well, to be honest, Pyrex invites you to think in C (yet also in Python)
while using Python syntax, a rather elegant compromise in my opinion.

So, for our team, the argument that Python is slow does not hold anymore.