script filename and autorun

Simon Dahlbacka sdahlbacSPAMSUX at abo.fi
Tue Mar 18 09:50:09 EST 2003

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3E77306D.5501D6A6 at engcorp.com...
> Simon Dahlbacka wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking that I wanted to "autostart" my python program at bootup,
I'm
> > using windows and planned to use the registry through the win32api
> > functions.
> >
> > 1) how do I get the filename of the current script running? (I want to
> > detect location at runtime)
>
> import sys
> currentScript = sys.argv[0]

hmm..
why didn't I think of that?, the solution is so obvious when you see it.. :)

> > 2) is it enough with just a key "python
> > c:\whateverthepathistomyprogram\prog.py" in ...\Run or do I also need
full
> > path to python?
>
> Why not try it?  Normally a file association is set up so that "executing"
> a .py file will automatically invoke Python, but it's conceivable this
> doesn't work for items in "Run".  It's really rather easy to try this
> though.

I'll do..

> The real question, though, is why don't you just drag a shortcut to your
> .py file to the Startup folder?  That way you are guaranteed that the
> usual file associations will work, and it's much easier than munging
> around in the registry.

I was thinking that I would allow the user to set from within the program if
it should be autostarted or not, but then again, it could also be done by
creating deleting a shortcut in the Startup folder.. I'll have a look..

/Simon