Is Python overhyped (just like Java)?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Mar 31 09:23:01 EST 2003

abpillai at lycos.com (Anand B Pillai) wrote:
> [Python] is a true object-oriented language in the spirit of
> Smalltalk/Java whereas C++ is not one.

I'm all for C++ bashing, but in what way do you think C++ is not "a true
object oriented language"?  I've heard C++ guys bash Python as not
object oriented because Python doesn't support private data.  "You mean
I can bypass the accessor functions and touch an object's data
directly!?"

OO seems to be different things to different people.  The concept of
"true OO" is probably best left for religeous wars.  As far as I can
tell, most people think OO is whatever was supported by the first OO
language they learned.