help! advocacy resources needed fast

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Tue Mar 4 18:06:04 EST 2003

I didn't think I was going to need to do this, but it looks like I
might.

Within the next couple days, the firm I work for is likely to be
meeting to decide what we're doing in terms of technology change.
We've been using Python, ILU,  and Zope for a long time as the
backbone of our business. We're now talking about changing that, but
we're trying to decide to what.

The problem is, we're drowning under traffic, and we have very strong
plans/deals/whatever going into place that will multiply that traffic.
We need to start building now for that day.

One of the guys who's been with the organization for a long time wants
to go to a Java-based approach. The long term viability, he maintains,
is better, and the short term boost in performance per box in the cage
is also better.

I could be persuaded to let Zope go -- it's nice, but it's not really
a very good fit for our organization. And I welcome the day ILU is no
longer part of our technology framework. But I quail at the thought of
losing Python.

So I'm hunting for options, and hard facts (preferably with numbers
attached).

My current read is that Webware + Twisted, or mod_python + Twisted,
would be the "fastest" web server platform python supports. Does
anyone else have better numbers? Solid comparisons of any kind? I've
got lots of anecdotal evidence I can point at, but very little in the
way of hard numbers.

Thanks,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts             "That's it! I've had it with your sassy mouth!
<geoff at gerrietts net>     I didn't want to do this! (Well, actually,