Recommended Linux Laptops, suppliers?

Paul M pmagwene at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 17 20:55:05 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Right.  *MY* criteria are a bit simpler -- I need to be able to use my
> notebook "comfortably" (relatively speaking...) to write and edit text
> (program code, book chapters, articles, ...) while sitting in an
> economy-class seat on an airplane.  This rules out PDA's (screen too
> small, not to mention keyboard issues -- so far I haven't found "fold
> out" keyboards satisfactory) as well as behemoths with 14" or larger
> screens (I have a nice Dell Inspiron but in practice I hardly ever
> take it with me on trips -- too large, too heavy).  If my old 12" screen,
> 1.8 Kg Acer Travelmate 345T had a better battery life (it's just about
> 3 hours' worth of useful work even with the most prudent use, alas),
> I'd be looking no further.  As things are, I daydream about ultralight
> ultrathin fuel cells far more than I do about any other laptop issue;-).
>

> Alex

Alex,

You might check out the Fujitsu P series notebooks:

http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P2

They've got usable keyboards and nice letterbox ratio displays along
with DVD/CD+RW.  I get about 4.5 hrs of use (non-DVD playing, screen
brightness reduced a couple of notches) on the extended battery.  All in
about 3.5 lbs.

I've been travelling A LOT the last 6 months and everytime I get on a
plane or train I know I made the right decision as far as a notebook
comptuer goes!

--Paul