Best way to embed Python in a C++ app?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 20:34:12 EST 2003

I'm toying with the idea of embedding Python in an existing C++
application.  As far as I can tell, there are three possible paths I
could take.  There's the raw API, there's SWIG, and there's boost.python.

I've played with the first two a little over the years, but don't really
know anything about boost beyond what little I've learned from reading
the boost web site.  It looks like I'm going to need to pass objects
back and forth from C++ to Python, and (at least on the surface) boost
looks like it can handle a lot of the messy details of this.  On the
other hand, I'm a little worried that it's still a bit of a work in
progress.

Anybody with experience in all three willing to offer a comparitive
evaluation?

Also, are there any alternatives that I've missed?