Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Mar 11 22:48:30 EST 2003

W D Tate wrote:

> IMHO, some of the posts thus far would precipitate the equivalent of
> WWIII of flamewars on boards such as comp.lang.eiffel, comp.lang.ada
> and a few others I can think of.

With good reason.  My god, everyone in that industry is still using
the Waterfall process for Pete's sake.  Talk about archaic!

When they open their minds enough to start considering some newer
approaches and how that might impact on the *perceived* value of
static typing (since, of course, Python *has* strong typing already
so "static" must be what you meant), then they might get some visits
from outsiders interested in rational discussion.

Until then, they have to be guests *here*, and we have certain
conventions about behaviour that they must follow.  No "WWIII
flamewars", for example.  Except when discussing ternary ops. ;-)

-Peter