Aspergers link

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon Mar 17 14:48:30 EST 2003

Hi,

I feel I must objects strongly to the tone in this discussion.

Carl Banks schreef op maandag 17 maart om 08:12:13 +0000:
> > There are probably a lot of us on this list who suffer from
> > Asperger's... it pretty much defines nerdiness.

"A lot" would be relative, maybe three times as much as outside,
which still means one or two.
It is *not* nerdiness!
It is something *different*!
It is a form of *autism*!
It is a *syndrome*!

> I think people with Asperger's "syndrome" just violated someone's
> arbitrary and very narrow idea of what they think is normal.

Please go meet Aspergers. Please visit schools with a lot of
Aspergers, please don't talk about something you don't know
something about.

> Here's my advice: forget all this crap about Asperger's syndrome.

Please don't say this, you may insult people.

> Instead, go read about Myers-Briggs personality typing.  _Please
> Understand Me_, by David Kiersey, is a good reference.  Kiersey would
> probably dismiss Asperger's "syndrome" as nothing but a strong
> introverted and thinking personality.

Well, he is wrong than.

> Frankly, it sickens me that there are people out there who consider
> traits such as introversion, and reliance on thought instead of
> feeling, to be "diseases."

Well, please don't dismiss Asperger's syndrome as something simple
or as something meaning introvertion.

Please, people, go talk about lambda's but not about subjects you
haven't got any knowledge about! I feel really strongly about this!

Please.

yours,
Gerrit.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/