Is Python overhyped (just like Java)?

Martin Maney maney at pobox.com
Sun Mar 30 18:34:18 EST 2003

Ajay na <ajay_637 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can some-one please explain why one would want to use Python?

Because I find it both much more productive and much more enjoyable
than other languages I have used, including C++.

> What is wrong with C++?

What do you think might be less than perfect about C++ that you are
inquiring about Python?

> Nope...I'm not trolling...I want someone to give a solid and intelligent
> argument about why I should switch from C++ to Python!

But I don't want to argue with you.  If you're happy with C++, then why
should I expend time and effort trying to make you unhappy?
Contrarily, if you are unhappy with C++, why don't you look at Python
and tell us what you like better, or less, about it?

[this is the point at which the tongue goes into the cheek; I repeat,
we have achieved cheeked tongue]

If Zen Koans were reborn as jokes, I think many of them would choose to
come back as lightbulb jokes.  Which doesn't so much bring us to the
next bit as provide a point from which a leap might be made in its
general direction.

  How many C++ programmers does it take to switch to Python?

  Only one, but he has to really want to change.