Easibox 0.1.5 released

phil hunt philh at cabalamat.org
Sun Mar 30 01:01:57 EST 2003

Easibox is a utility for making tar files, zip files and other
archive files, designed to be particularly useful when making
releases of open source projects.

Easibox was written to solve a problem I had when releasing
open source software packages, such as my Leafwa program. The
technique I was using was manually creating a directory with
the required filename (such as "leafwa-0.6.1"), copying those
files to be archived into the directory, and then cd'ing to
that directory's parent and running tar to create the tarball.
I found this process time-consuming and error-prone. So I
decided there must be a better way...

My solution was this program ``easibox'' which decides what
files it will put in the archive, what sort of archive files
will be created, and other parameters, based on the contents
of a configuration file in the project directory. The
configuration file is read in by the Python interpreter; this
means that it uses Python syntax (so you don't have to learn
another file type) and that you can put Python program
statements in it.

Easibox is written in Python and licensed under the GNU
General Public License; see file COPYING (which comes with the
distribution) for details.

Easibox is available on the web at:
   <http://www.cabalamat.org/oss/easibox/intro.html>

--
Philip Hunt <philh at cabalamat.org>

Interested in adventure holidays in Spain?
Look at: <http://www.cabalamat.org/advcon/>