Concerns about performance w/Python, Pysco on Pentiums

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Thu Mar 6 06:37:42 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
>> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>> > [hardware simulator in Python]
>> It may well be that the real bottleneck of your simulator is memory access
>> and not CPU. [...]
> Not knowing that much about Linux I'd be at a loss to do this on my
> own.  Any suggestions for where to look?

A quick googling shows that there are several performance counter
patches out there. But maybe you can get the information you need out
of the standard profiling information from /proc/profile using
readprofile(1).

You'll need to add a kernel commandline option in your bootloader
(GRUB/LILO). This is an important part of the man page:

"""
To enable profiling, the kernel must be rebooted,  because
no  profiling module is available, and it wouldn't be easy
to build. To enable profiling, you can specify "profile=2"
(or another number) on the kernel commandline.  The number
you specify is the two-exponent used as profiling step.
"""

I've never done anything of the above myself, though ;-)

-- Gerhard