Tk vs wxPython ?

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 5 12:57:08 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 09:51, Paul McNett wrote:
> Cliff Wells writes:
>
> > There is little doubt in my mind that Qt is a great toolkit.  There is
> > less doubt in my mind that bundling a toolkit with Python that requires
> > users to pay a licensing fee will never happen.  Whether that fee is
> > $1000 or $10 is irrelevant.
>
> Wait. Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding the Qt licensing, the only
> people that need to pay the Qt licensing fees are the developers of the
> commercial apps (1 license per platform per developer).

This is correct.

> IOW, I as the
> developer of some great commercial PyQt app need to somehow get licenses
> from Trolltech that allow me to do the development and distribute the Qt
> runtime libraries. How I pass this cost on to the users of my product is
> completely up to me. Neither the users of my product, nor I, owe anything
> additional to Trolltech beyond the developer licensing fees.
>
> Anyone please correct me if I've misread any of this, as it will definitely
> have a bearing on my GUI toolkit decision.

AFAIK, you are correct.  However, I think you miss my point.  This isn't
about whether Trolltech's scheme is reasonable (I think it is), but what
constraints including it in the standard library would put on Python
users.  If they [the Python users] developed a commercial application,
they would be required to pay a licencing fee to a third party.  This is
unacceptable.  If they choose to do this on their own, fine.   But to
make that the *standard* toolkit for doing GUI development under Python
is not going to happen.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)