simple, old-style graphic ?

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Jun 10 04:09:48 EDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:06:48 +0200, "Alessandro de Manzano" <demanzano at playstos.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'ld need a little suggestion :-)
>
>For educational purposes I'ld find a Python module (Windows platform) to
>draw simple 2D graphic (even 3D if possible, but is not a requirement)
>Like very old Basics, so lines, points, circles, rectangles, colors, simple
>text strings, etc.
>
>As last resort I thought about some OpenGL module but I would really prefer
>something easier and simpler.
>
>Have you some idea ?
>
>I accept any hints and suggestions :)

Have you looked at the tkinter demos that come with the source distribution?
(the source distribution is worth downloading, if you haven't).

OTOH, I have posted a similar question in the past, and the itch is there.
I just haven't scratched yet ;-) Maybe the thing to do is prototype the desired
functionality as a class that makes hidden use of tkinter at first, and then
if desired write some extensions that provide the same class interface but use
minimal win32 windows and graphics functionality, perhaps by interfacing class
methods to the windows stuff running in a separate machine thread via queues and/or
shared memory with locks, etc. to pass data.

The advantage of prototyping using existing tkinter stuff is that you may not
need to reimplement unless you want to ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter