License Question

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Jun 22 15:40:27 EDT 2003

Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:25:35 -0700, achrist at easystreet.com wrote:
[...]
> > "3. In the event Licensee prepares a derivative work that is based on
> > or incorporates Python 2.2.3 or any part thereof, [...]
> > Licensee hereby agrees to include in any such work a brief summary of
> > the changes made to Python 2.2.3."
> >
> > I interpret this to mean that a distributed version of a python
> > script I write, created with Py2exe or the McMillan installer,
> > since it includes Python is covered by this provision.
>
> "Derivative work" here is a copyright term (this is a copyright license)
> referring to a work that incorporates, in whole or in part, the work
> with this license attached.  So, something that includes the whole of
> Python is a derivative work, by my reading.
>
> > So, I've got to put a copy of the news.txt file or something like it
> > somewhere in my distribution?
>
> No, you only have to include "[...] the changes made to Python 2.2.3."
> If you're including the whole thing, but not actually making changes to
> it, then your "brief summary of the changes" is zero length.
[...]

py2exe and Installer *don't* include the whole of Python.

So, does that mean that all py2exe and Installer apps must include a
note indicating that a) this isn't the whole of Python 2.x.y and b)
the files taken from the Python distribution have been merged into a
few files for distribution?

If so, do people actually do that ATM?

John