Why python

W Isaac Carroll icarroll at pobox.com
Sat Jun 7 05:40:13 EDT 2003

FJ wrote:
> Hey guys,
> not trying to rake up anything new here. I'm trying to convince a friend to
> move from some ol' language (perl) to python. does anybody know of any good
> articles i can ask him to read (my own powers of persuasion being very
> limited) ?

The first question I would ask you is, why do you think your friend
should switch? Perl is a very powerful language, and has many of the
same features as Python. I mean, it's not like you're advocating a
switch from C or Cobol or something ugly that that. (Yes, Perl is ugly,
but in a beautiful way.)

That said, try here:
http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html#perl

My experience in switching from Perl to Python came when I was trying to
write a small application that needed nested data structures. I took a
stab at writing it in Perl, gave up, switched to Python and never looked
back. :)

TTFN