PEP 317: Eliminate Implicit Exception Instantiation

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Mon Jun 9 12:50:37 EDT 2003

Quoth Bernhard Herzog:
  [...]
> How do I write code that raises and exception with an explicit traceback
> object that works both with Python 2.4 and at least 2.3 (preferably 2.2
> and 2.1 as well) and that does not issue warnings?

Not possible as the proposal stands (except, of course, by simply
suppressing the warnings).

This is a defect, but I couldn't come up with anything better when
I was writing the PEP.  Part of my problem here is that I'm not
familiar enough with real-life uses of the traceback argument.  Do
you use it?

Steven Taschuk                             staschuk at telusplanet.net
"I may be wrong but I'm positive."  -- _Friday_, Robert A. Heinlein