(newbie)list conversion problem

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Thu Jun 19 09:30:46 EDT 2003

Hi,

Boris Genz wrote:
> I want to translate list of strings into identical list of integers. To
> clear things up, here is an example:

> for elements in x:
>   group = []
>   group.append(int(elements))

Try to move the 'group = []' statement out of the for loop.
Currently, each time the block is executed, you are creating
a new empty list. You probably ended up with a list with one
integer element.

The following should work:

1.
group = []
for elem in x:
    group.append(int(elem))

group = [int(elem) for elem in x]
group = map(int, x)

I prefer the second one, but they are all correct.

> P.S. My English is poor but I hope you understand me;)

I understand you perfectly - assumed I have answered your question ;)

yours,
Gerrit.

--
238. If a sailor wreck any one's ship, but saves it, he shall pay the
half of its value in money.