Accented cahrs in PythonWin

Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Thu Jun 5 09:51:34 EDT 2003

jmdeschamps <jmdeschamps at cvm.qc.ca> wrote:
> Python 2.2.2
> PythonWin build 152
>
> in the interactive window:
>>>> toto = "été

Huh? That should *not* have worked. You should have gotten a
"SyntaxError: invalid token" because of having no closing quote.

> ét

When you print a string, Python renders it without any quotes around it;
notice that there was no opening quote either. The disappearance of the
acute e makes me wonder also. The only explanation I can come up with
for both these events is that the interpreter somehow took that second
acute e to be a quote character. This the 'toto = "été' line was
interpreted as 'toto = "ét"'. I can't think of a reason why that would
happen, but it would explain the absence of a SyntaxError.

> '\xe9t\xe9'

Notice the opening and closing quotes. This is the repr() of the string,
as opposed to the str() of the string. If I'm confusing you with this
paragraph, read up on repr() and str() at:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/built-in-funcs.html

> BUT pasted here as:
> été

No opening or closing quotes -- this is normal.

> '\xe9t\xe9'

Also normal.

--
Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com>