PEP-317

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jun 10 13:40:38 EDT 2003

Michael Chermside wrote:

> (1) There should be only one (preferably obvious) way to do it.
> (2) If I write "raise x" is that an example of "raise Class", or
>     of "raise instance"? With old-style exceptions, you have to
>     examine the type of x to figure out what to do. With new-style
>     exceptions, even that wouldn't do.
> (3) The "raise Class" form has a spurious similarity with the
>     except clause:
>         try:
>             raise MyError, raised
>         except MyError, caught:
>             pass
>     Looks like "raised" is the same object as "caught". But it's
>     not.
> (4) There's no benefit to having two syntaxes. See (1).

don't forget

(5) Python programmers don't have anything important to do with
their lifes, so they're happy just changing perfectly working code
over and over and over again for every new release, just to satisfy
the whims of some random comp.lang.python poster.

(but I'm not worried; I'm sure the PSF will happily cover the costs for
everyone who wants to upgrade; it'll probably only cost the industry
a few million dollars to check, modify, and test every piece of Python
code ever written.  and the next time, it'll cost even less, since every-
one will write their next system in a language designed by people who
care about their existing user base)

</F>