OT: dav/webdav uri scheme?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 8 02:56:30 EDT 2003

Off-topic, I know, but I am using Python on the back-end ;)

I'm developing a web-based app for job submission on a queue.
The progression is simple:
  login -> main page -> start job -> view progress -> view results

I want to provide some way for users to manage the results,
eg, to delete old jobs.  I did not want to develop a web-based
GUI for what is basically manipulating directory names.  I
figured the easiest solution is to use WebDAV and leverage
the existing webdav clients, which are designed to manipulate
file-like resources.

So I want my user's main page (after login) to have a link to
"manage jobs" which points the webdav client to
  http://server/userhome/jobs

As far as I can tell, this is impossible.  There is a 'dav:' uri
scheme but it isn't supported in IE nor in Safari.  (That is,
"dav:server/userhome/jobs" and "webdav:server/ ... " both
give be a "not supported" error.)

Does anyone here know a way  to tell the web browser
to use the webdav client to connect to a server's resource?

Otherwise, I may punt and have written instructions which
say "open your client and paste in this url".  Which is silly.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com