Python Tkinter question

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Jun 8 17:34:52 EDT 2003

"Thyme" <TDSherer at go.com> wrote:

> I've hit a bump learning to use Tkinter. Nothing I've found on line
> has helped me nail down the problem. Any insights would be welcome.
>
> This is something very easy, actually - I'm trying to use the feature
> a label is assigned a variable so that it can be automatically
> updated. I followed the syntax I found in a Tkinter PDF on line and
> another online doc I found.
>
> Here is some code:
>
> # File: testx.py
> from Tkinter import *
>
> con1 = StringVar("Quick Question!")

>>> import Tkinter
>>> help(Tkinter.StringVar)
Help on class StringVar in module Tkinter:

class StringVar(Variable)
 |  Value holder for strings variables.
 |
 |  Methods defined here:
 |
 |  __init__(self, master=None)
 |      Construct a string variable.
 |
 |      MASTER can be given as master widget.
 |
 |  get(self)
 |      Return value of variable as string.
 |
 |  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
 |  Methods inherited from Variable:
 |
 |  __del__(self)
 |      Unset the variable in Tcl.
 |
 |  __str__(self)
 |      Return the name of the variable in Tcl.
 |
 |  set(self, value)
 |      Set the variable to VALUE.

in other words, the StringVar constructor takes an optional master (parent)
widget argument, and you must use the "set" method to change the value:

    con1 = StringVar()
    con1.set("Quick Question!")

</F>