reStructured Text - suitable for non-documentation?

Niklas Frykholm niklas_dont_spam_me at grin.se
Tue Jun 3 10:05:24 EDT 2003

> Who is using reStructured Text actively?

I am, both at home and at work.

At home I use it for everything that does not have to be heavily
structured (XML) or heavily formatted (raw HTML, LaTeX, Quark),
such as letters, notes, works of fiction, etc.

At work we use a reST-based Wiki for all our internal documentation
(which is not Python-related).

> Am I insane for even thinking of such a thing?

Certainly not. If I were to rewrite my web pages today I would
write most of it in reST (using Leo :). I would only write the
front page and the graphics intense pages in HTML.

> Are there better alternatives (i.e. ones specifically designed for
> marking up web page content in plain text)?

It all depends on what you want to do and what you mean by better.
If the formatting options provided by reST (headlines, lists,
footnotes, etc..) covers your needs, then I think you will have a
hard time finding a better markup.

If reST provides _almost_ everything you might still want to use
it and try one of the following options

  - pre- or post-process your document to add your own markup
  - implement your own custom reST directives
  - use the .. raw directive to include raw HTML where needed

// Niklas