Possible bug in setting Windows file permissions? (os.chmod() not working properly?)

Matt Shomphe MatthewS at HeyAnita.com
Mon Jun 16 19:17:41 EDT 2003

I noticed an error when trying to change the file permissions for a
file on a Windows (2K) machine.  I'm using David Beazley's excellent
"Python Essential Reference, 2nd. Ed." as a reference.  According to
the book (p. 186 for those following along at home), it should be used
thusly:

import os
os.chmod('myReadOnlyFile.txt', os.O_RDWR)

Where for os.O_RDWR, you could have any of the modes specified on p.
184.  In other words, all the same bitwise-or modes for opening a
file.  What happens with the above code is: nothing at all.  However,
the following code *will* work to change a file to be accessible:

import os
os.chmod('myReadOnlyFile.txt', 33206)

So, either I am using the os.chmod() function incorrectly, or there is
something wrong elsewhere.

Any hints on what's to be done?

M@