PyModule for ID3 v2.2+

Torsten Marek shlomme at gmx.net
Sun Jun 1 13:18:16 EDT 2003

Andreas Jung schrieb:
> Is there a module that can read ID3 tags from MP3 files where the ID3 tags
> are of version 2.2 (produced by iTunes)?
>
> -aj

I wrote a C++ library with Python bindings (libtagedit) for most likely
that purpose. You are able to read/write the most interesting fields in
ogg and mp3 (ID3v2.x) tags without notice of the file type.
The fields are: Artist, Title, Album, Year, Comment, Genre and Track.
To use it, you will need sip (from www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk), the
C++ library and Python bindings are at
www.sourceforge.net/projects/libtagedit. I use those library myself
heavily with large portions of mp3/ogg files, the only bug by now I know
of is sometimes wrong detection of mp3 file length and bitrate, but I
did not have the time to get into this.
The mp3 plugin can read ID3v1 tags, but converts them to ID3v2 tags on
writing.
If you do not like using sip and you need only and full access to
ID3v2.x tags, I'll could give you a standalone C++ library, for which
you could generate Python bindings.

Refering to former postings, I do not claim to be standards compliant,
but Xmms, Xine and Winamp (2.xx and 3) are able to read them flawlessly,
or, at least, I did not hear complains...

greetings

Torsten