filedescriptor out of range in select()

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jun 26 07:33:49 EDT 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> I strongly suspect it means that the file descriptor (or the result of
> calling the .fileno method of a socket-like object) passed in one of the
> objects is way out of range for being a valid file descriptor number.

as you can see if you look at the source code, all it means is that
the file descriptor is larger than FD_SETSIZE, which is a compile-time
constant.

the number of files supported by an actual system doesn't necessarily
have to match the value of a include-file constant on the build machine...

but I'm pretty sure asyncore supports the "poll" interface.  try changing
the asyncore.loop call in Dibbler.py to:

    asyncore.loop(map=context._map, use_poll=1)

and see what happens.

</F>