long-term release schedule?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 12 22:32:23 EDT 2003

Yan Weng
> Because scientific
> computing seems a strong area of python, I have this speed improvement
> suggestion just to make python even stronger in this area. Just think
about
> reseach and applications for "online" image processing and pattern
> recognition. Speed is always an important issue.

Speaking as one who does scientific computing, the high-performance
code is usually a small part of the code and, if needed, can easily be
rewritten
in C/C++/Fortran, which is quite easy given the wrapper generators available
for those languages.  Improving Python's performance would be nice, but
it'll
be a lot of work to make it comparable to any of those three languages.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com