destructors, exceptions and the lock guard paradigm

Gonçalo Rodrigues op73418 at mail.telepac.pt
Wed Jun 18 10:09:09 EDT 2003

On 17 Jun 2003 19:25:29 -0700, moocat94122 at yahoo.com (Ron Samuel
Klatchko) wrote:

>I am trying to use the lock guard paradigm in Python.  My first
>attempt was
>this:
>
>class guard:
>    def __init__(self, lock):
>        self.acquired = 0
>        self.lock = lock
>        self.lock.acquire()
>        self.acquired = 1
>
>    def __del__(self):
>        print "releasing lock"
>        self.release()
>
>    def release(self):
>        if self.acquired:
>            self.lock.release()
>            self.acquired = 1
>
>Intended to be used like this:
>
>class someclass:
>    def __init__(self):
>        self.lock = threading.Lock()
>
>    def somefunc(self):
>        g = guard(self.lock)
>        # do some work while the lock is held
>
>The idea was that when somefunc exited, the reference count to g would
>drop to 0, the guard would be destructed which would release the lock.
> That way, I do not have to manually release the lock for every exit
>path.
>
>While it works for normal returns from the function, the lock is not
>released when an exception is thrown.  From my research it looks to be
>due to how the last traceback is stored and continues to hold a
>reference to the guard object.

Exactly -- see below.

>Is there a way to get this to work under Python?  I realize I can use
>try/finally block and put the call to Lock.release() there, I don't
>like that as much as the guard method.

You should not rely on __del__ to release external resources. In
CPython, __del__ is called as soon as its reference count drops to
zero, but that is an implementation detail -- it is not true in Jython
for example, where the garbage collector kicks in a non-deterministic
fashion.

Also, imagine that your object participates in a cycle (a not too
uncommon occurence)...

So, basically, I guess you are stuck with the common Python idiom --
explicit release of resources via try/finally blocks.

>samuel

HTH, with my best regards,
G. Rodrigues