getting info out of a list.

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Sun Jun 15 16:19:56 EDT 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:55:58 GMT,
 Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
><posted & mailed>
>
> Jim Richardson wrote:
>
>> I have the following code
>>
>> for wires in wirelist.keys():
>>         bits=wirelist[wires]
>>         Wire=("GW",wires,bits)
>>         print Wire
>>

>> Which, depending on the data in wirelist, results in something like,
>>
>> ('GW', 1, (11, 0, -500, 0, 0, 500, 0, 10))
>>

>> But what I want is
>>
>> ('GW', 1, 11, 0, -500, 0, 0, 500, 0, 10)
>>
>> I want the tuple that is returned from the dict wirelist, to be added as
>> individual elements, rather than a tuple of individual elements, to the
>> list "bits"
>>
>> (I hope I have explained this properly)
>
> Well, not quite -- there seems to be some tuple-vs-lits confusions in
> your text vs your code, as well as some confusion as to what gets added
> to what else.  But I think what you want is, roughly:

I think the confusion is that the data stuffed into the dict earlier,
consisted of a tuple. I wasn't clear on that part I think.

>     Wire = ('GW', wires) + wirelist[wires]
>
> i.e., you want to CONCATENATE the wirelist[wires] tuple right after
> the two-items tuple whose first item is 'GW' and whose second item
> is wires.  Python does express sequence concatenation as 'adding'
> (i.e., it uses the plus sign to indicate it).
>

> Alex

Bingo! that was it, thank you very much.

I knew I was missing something fundamental.

--
Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()