cut off \n

sismex01 at hebmex.com sismex01 at hebmex.com
Mon Jun 9 11:53:47 EDT 2003

This is *almost* the correct way to do it :-)

> My problem is that sometimes the last line of the file has a \n and
> sometimes not. With the method above I sometimes cut off parts of my
> string. So it would be much nicer if I can find out if the data does
> have a \n and then cut it off.

You could do somethint like:

    if line.endswith("\n"):
        line = line[:-1]

or, if trailing whitespace is not significant (you don't mention it),
you can also do something like:

    line = line.rstrip()

or, if leading whitespace is not significant either, you can also
trim all leading and trailing whitespace, thusly:

    line = line.strip()

> This is probably a very common problem but I am pretty new to Phython
> and could find anything useful with google. :-(
>
> Thanks, Tom

Perl has yet-another-kinda-useful-function called "chomp", which
deletes a line ending from a string, only if it's found.  Alas,
python is chompless, not that I'm complaining, the above code
is what I use all the time.

-gca

--
Advertencia:La informacion contenida en este mensaje es confidencial y
restringida, por lo tanto esta destinada unicamente para el uso de la