converting decimal to binary

SFBayling a at b.c
Wed Jun 4 09:41:24 EDT 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1053741576.26298.python-list at python.org:

> [Michael P. Soulier]
>>>     I'm trying to find a simple way to convert a decimal number to a
>>> binary string representation. I could do this the hard way, but as
>>> it's a one-liner in perl, I'm hoping there's an easy way to do this
>>> in python.

> OTOH, there's curious asymmetry here:

> 192
>>>>

> That is, "the other direction" is built in.

I was hoping there would be something to continue the existing patterns
like;
hex(value)
oct(value)
bin(value)

or perhaps

print "%d" % value  #Decimal
print "%x" % value  #Hex
print "%o" % value  #Octal
print "%b" % value  #Binary

I ended up finding the baseconvert module in the CookBook as well and
changing it to default to decimal->binary.

def baseconvert(number, fromdigits=BASE10, todigits=BASE2):

newsgroup-post-testingly yours,
sfb.
---
(First time back in newsgroups in a while, I can only hope this works
properly).