python applets inside <OBJECT> anyone?

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 22 08:30:19 EDT 2003

The following is from the W3C HTML4.0 specification, but I
could not get it to work anyhow (using "myscript.py"
containing "print '<p>12:00</p>'" instead of the URI in the
example).  Can you?  Why is this "python applet" example
there in the HTML 4 spec, is there any browser supporting it
(my IE6 doesn't even give the "An animated clock" message or
another error message).  They should not put Python applet
examples in specifications that don't work, this makes
Python look bad!

HTML 4.0  Sect. 13.3.1 "Rules for rendering objects:"
In the following example, we insert an analog clock applet
in a document via the OBJECT element. The applet, written in
the Python language, requires no additional data or run-time
values. The classid attribute specifies the location of the
applet:

<P><OBJECT classid="http://www.miamachina.it/analogclock.py">
An animated clock.
</OBJECT>