Totally Confused: Passing variables to functions

Steve Horsley steve.horsley at cwcom.cwplc.com
Fri Jun 6 12:34:27 EDT 2003

Chuck <cdreward at riaa.com> wrote in message news:<i39udvo7e11828rkmudo93hj3dr68bft95 at 4ax.com>...

> >  >>> v = [1,2]
> >  >>> arg = v
> >  >>> arg.append(3)
> >  >>> v
> >  [1, 2, 3]
>
> I'm not "getting" variables in Python, then.
>
> What exactly happens when I say "arg = v"?
>
> Not "arg is assigned the value [1,2] that v happens to hold"...
>
> Not "arg now points to v" (can't be, since you can delete v and arg still
> exists)
>
> It seems to say, "arg now points to what v also points to".. is this correct?

Spot on. Exactly. Except some people may prefer to say "refers to"
rather than saying "points to". The one list now has two references
to it.

> And so...
>
> a = 1
> b = a
>
> is really saying, "b points to what a points to, which is a 'variable' with
> the value of 1, which cannot be changed (immutable)".
>
> Is this correct?

Yes. In python, even the number 1 is a object - a number sort of object.
try:
>>> dir(1)
and see how many functions the number 1 has!
Then try (note the space before the dot):
>>> 1 .__hex__
<method-wrapper object at 0x007B5BD0>
>>> 1 .__hex__()
'0x1'

But the fact that numbers are objects is something of a diversion here.

Let's try this:

def foo(arg):
    # This appends to the list that arg refers to
    arg.append('three')
    # make arg refer to something completely different
    arg = 42

# make a list and a variable 'a' that refers to it
a = ['one', 'two']

# make a new variable 'b' and point it at the same
# list as that a refers to
b = a

# call foo, which will append to our list
# (and also fiddle with a different list of its own)
foo(b)

# remove one of the references to our list
del a

# remove the other reference to our list.
# Poof! the list gets garbage collected because no-one has a
# reference to it any more. It's gone and forgotten.
del b

> If so, I *think* I'm starting to "get it"...  ;-)

I'm sure you are.

Steve