PyOSG 0.4.0 - Python OpenSceneGraph bindings

gideon may gideon at computer.org
Mon Jun 2 07:48:45 EDT 2003

Hi Ben,

deckerben wrote:
> "gideon may" <gideon at computer.org> wrote in message
> news:3ed63acf$0$137$e4fe514c at dreader5.news.xs4all.nl...

<snip>

> Sounds really good. We ported the entire osg library to DOS just to see if
> it would work with PythonD. Too bad you also added the unneccessary
> complication of using the boost library as well. How does this significantly
> enhance the package? Both boost and jam will not port to DOS without major
> changes.

First of all, boost.python allows extreme ease of wrapping C++ libraries
in python.
Secondly, boost makes possible a number of very nice features, i.e a
feature which is being used in PyOSG is the subclassing of abstract c++
classes in python.
One disadvantage of boost is it's dependance on a very conformant C++
compiler.

I've been looking at SWIG some time ago and at that time it
wasn't as powerfull as boost. This might have changed, but  I like the
fact that boost doesn't work with an IDL and I don't need the multi
language support which SWIG offers.

> sigh.

sorry :(

> Ben