idle /idlefork slackware

Rick Miles rickfrm at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 10 09:47:31 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I'm very new to python. Actually I'd like to learn it.

I'd like to run it in an ide but wxPython seems like a monumental install.

Idle or idle fork seems simpler and my needs aree basic for now.

At work I downloaded idlefork-0.9b1.tar.gz and untarred it but from there I
was lost since running python setup.py just gave me some usage messages but I
have no idea what to enter as opts or cmds.

I'm running mdk-9.0 so I tried the rpm of the same version but mdk installed
with pyyhon-2.2.1 and the rpm wants python-2.2.

At home (where I would probably be working with python ) I'm running
Slackware-9.0. (full install) I didn't find idle bundled in with python but I
may not have looked in the right place.

Are there any slackers on this list who are using python with idle who might
be able to help me. I haven't found a slackpack (tgz) for idle so I'll have
to roll my own? Once and if I get idle invoked how do I invoke (start) it?

The beginner tutorials all seem to be MS oriented.

TIA

Rick Miles