XML

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Jun 28 13:45:39 EDT 2003

mwilson at the-wire.com (Mel Wilson) wrote previously:
|>|   And there isn't much to XML.  There's a first line of
|>|version information... Then there's
|[ ... ]
|>Add entity escaping
|>Add namespace declarations
|>Add namespace modified tags
|>Add namespace modified attributes
|[ ... ]

I do think a lot of people miss the difference in infoset augmentation
during validating and non-validating parsing.  Since DTDs are part of
the XML spec, you simply cannot ignore this (except by subsetting actual
XML).  I give an example at:

  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-matters26.html

Btw. The linked article discusses RELAX NG's parsimony here.  Even
though James Clark emailed me and objected to my characterization of
RELAX NG as still augmenting just-a-little-bit, I stand by that remark.

Entities in DTDs (including internal subsets; were those in the addendum
list?) are similar in this general way.

Yours, David...

P.S. The moral I actually take from the thread is that it is possible to
take a small subset of actual XML, and call that simple (because it is).
But it is a massive mental effort to understand every weird corner case
in the XML spec.

--
Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food from the bellies
of the hungry; books from the hands of the uneducated; technology from the